About HMS Plymouth
HMS Plymouth was built in Plymouth at the Davenport Dockyard and formally launched by the Viscount Astor in July 1959.
She is weighs in at 2,500 tons fully laiden, is 370ft long, 40ft wide and has a 15ft draught. Although serving all over the
World, she is probably best remembered for her action in the Falklands War being one of the first Royal Navy warships arriving
in the South Atlantic and the surrender of the Argentine forces was signed in her wardroom.
The Plymouth, Antrim, Brilliant and Endurance were key to the recapture of South Georgia in April 1982.
She was badly damaged in operations in June 82 during an assult on San Carlos Water, while supporting ground troops
several Argentine Mirage aircraft attacked her and she was hit by several bombs and cannon shells leaving her on fire but
She was returned to the UK after the war for repairs at Rosyth dockyard, after the refit she served in the West
Indies before being decommisioned in 1988.
Since then she has been maintained by various trusts in locations around the UK but now needs a permanent resting